Residual Stress could be induced by machining, grinding, rolling deep drawing, welding, thermal hardening and shot peening; its quantification allows to prevent fatigue damage and to control durability and safety of material. X-Ray Diffraction is a conventional and time proven technique to measure residual stress. Using the interatomic spacing as the ultimate gage length, the X-Ray Diffraction technique is ideal for crystalline samples, especially for metals and ceramics. It measures the absolute stress without the need of an unstressed calibration sample.
The SpiderX is a portable residual stress diffractometer. It has been designed focusing on the following specification, exceptional portability lightness, easiness to set up, outstanding performances and negligible X-Ray emissions. The result is a compact and smart instrument, based on a low power X-Ray tube and a fast and highly efficient detector, the combination of which ensures accurate and fast measurements, The head of the goniometer rotates along a curved sector of 90 degrees, for the determination of the stress status in polycristalline materials. The 2Theta angle can be changed from 135° to 165° in order to analyze Fe (ferrite, austenite), Al, Ni, Cu, Ti and Mg Alloys.
The SpiderX unit includes everything needed taking advantage of its portability and lightness for making residual stress measurements by X-Ray Diffraction in a portable manner.
Benifiets of SpiderX
- Non Destructive on-site measurement of big sample
- Easily access to the measurement point thanks to the versatility of the goniometer head
- Battery allows on-site measurement without the main power supply
- Single case contains goniometer and power supply with a total weight of approx. 19 kg.
- Detection of Residual Stress on sprocket wheels
- Detection of Residual Stress on car motor parts (cam axles, connecting rods, engine shafts, equalizers, ...)
- Detection of Residual Stress induced by deep drawing (household appliances, structural parts, ...)
- Detection of existing Operational Stress on gas conducts
- Detection of Operational Stress on large tensioned structures
- Measurement of efficiency of Shot-Peening and rolling of components subjected to Stress
- Definition of the quantity of Retained Austenite on bearings and parts of diesel motor injectors
- Detection of Residual Stress in castings (cast iron parts of tool machines and aluminum components)
- Detection of Stress induced by welding (laser and electron)
- Search for a correlation between residual stress and stress resistance of aluminum alloy car rims
- Optimization of working parameters for swarf removal to improve the stress resistance of mechanical components
- Detection of Residual Stress on helicoidal and leaf springs
- Search for critical zones after applying workloads (arms and aeronautics)